Local Impact Study on Connecting Intermittent RE to the Grid - Connection code for small scale VREs
The Consultant is expected to propose optimal technical standards of equipment and grid connection codes in the distribution network to promote distributed VRE. While the analysis is primarily conducted for Uzbekistan, the deliverables need to be applicable to the other CAREC countries, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Turkmenistan with necessary adjustment. The TA targets distribution power grid whose operation voltage is less than 110 kV, and VRE with their installed capacity of less than 2 MW. Key results will be disseminated to Uzbekistan as well as to the other target countries.
- Identify issues that may occur during a network fault in the power distribution system with solar PV and wind power generation plants connected. Assess the problems with the other DERs, such as EVs and stationary batteries
- Analyse how the problems can be addressed, including coordination between relays
- International best practice: present the other countries' practices, such as connection guidelines for and industrial technical standards of inverters for PVs. Consider international standard, such as IEC and IEEE, as well as international technical specification such as SELENEC. The other reference include ENTSO-E's RfG, and smart inverter (with multiple functions) under IEEE1547. Recommend how those practices can be used in Uzbekistan and the other CAREC countries
- Propose optimal technical standards/setting of relays, and connection code of VREs and DERs for each seven countries' grid (Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan)
- Analyse the experience of Pakistan in developing Grid Connection Codes for renewables; suggest improvements for further synchronization with CAREC member countries
Key project outputs:
- Draft connection codes/ guidelines for VREs and DERs in the target countries;
- Quantities of protection relays to be replaced / developed at distribution substations to allow the operation with VREs and DERs. Estimate the total project costs with breakdown;
- Assessment of possible technical standard development organization that can be established in the region;
- Organize and attend meetings/workshops/presentations with counterpart's relevant staff.