Connection of Afghanistan and Turkmenistan into CAPS
This assignment studies enlargement of Central Asia Power System (CAPS) through analysis of technical requirements for connecting Afghanistan and Turkmenistan with CAPS. It will also undertake a market analysis of prospective power trade of enlarged CAPS countries with the neighbouring countries/regions. In particular:
- Afghanistan: Analyse the current system technical requirements for connecting Afghanistan to CAPS (220kV, 500kV and higher). Updating of technical actions required for Afghanistan to operate synchronously with CAPS. Define technical actions requirement for Afghanistan to operate synchronously with CAPS.
- Turkmenistan: Analyse the current system technical requirement for connecting Turkmenistan into CAPS. Define technical actions requirement for Turkmenistan to operate synchronously with CAPS.
- Market Analysis: Prepare market analysis for prospective power trade (export and import) of enlarged CAPS countries (i.e. incl. Afghanistan and Turkmenistan) with the neighbouring countries.
- Demand forecast: analysis of the existing demand, including unmet demand, and support production of an updated 20-year country projections for high, low, and base case growth scenarios
- Assessment of countries’ EE policies and prospective priorities for 3 scenario: “business as usual”, “green” “recession” scenarios
- Assessment of condition of the existing generation and transmission assets
- Assessment of construction and rehabilitation projects for generation and transmission assets planned for individual countries and regionally, including CASA-1000, TAP
- Support in identification of including RE options and efficient use of power
- Support detailed network studies (voltage, N-1 contingencies, static and dynamic stability)
- Strategic environmental and social assessment
- Support development of regional Least Cost Generation Plan for different scenarios
- Support development of Roadmap (technical and regulatory requirements and list of transmission, relay protection upgrade projects) for connecting Afghanistan and Turkmenistan into CAPS
- Support preparation of an updated 10-year investment plan for justified projects
- Assessment of adequacy of existing regional energy trading arrangements, existing rules and methodologies for calculating mutual commercial settlements for additional services
- Market analysis for prospective power trade of enlarged CAPS countries (i.e. incl. Afghanistan and Turkmenistan) with the neighbouring countries
- Support development of concept for the regional wholesale electricity and power market including recommendations related to creation of potential Regional Market and Technical Operators