Connection of Afghanistan and Turkmenistan into CAPS
The study will analyse technical requirements for connecting Afghanistan and Turkmenistan with CAPS. It will also undertake a market analysis of prospective power trade of enlarged CAPS countries with the neighbouring countries/regions. In particular:
- Afghanistan: Analyse the current system technical requirements for connecting Afghanistan to CAPS (220kV, 500kV and higher). Updating of technical actions required for Afghanistan to operate synchronously with CAPS. Define technical actions requirement for Afghanistan to operate synchronously with CAPS.
- Turkmenistan: Analyse the current system technical requirement for connecting Turkmenistan into CAPS. Define technical actions requirement for Turkmenistan to operate synchronously with CAPS.
- Market Analysis: Prepare market analysis for prospective power trade (export and import) of enlarged CAPS countries (i.e. incl. Afghanistan and Turkmenistan) with the neighbouring countries.
- Demand forecast: analysis of the existing demand, including unmet demand, and produce updated 20-year country projections for high, low, and base case growth scenarios;
- Assessment of existing assets: assess the condition of the existing generation and transmission assets;
- Assessment of ongoing projects: assess planned construction and rehabilitation projects;
- Identification of alternatives: identify alternatives including RE options and efficient use of power including load management and other demand side management measures;
- Assessment of existing and planned regional projects, including CASA-1000, TAP;
- Strategic environmental and social assessment;
- Develop regional Least Cost Generation Plan for different scenarios;
- Develop Roadmap (technical and regulatory requirements and list of transmission, relay protection upgrade projects) for connecting Afghanistan and Turkmenistan into CAPS;
- Support preparation of investment plan: prepare an updated 10-year investment plan for justified projects;
- Assessment of trading arrangements: assess the adequacy of existing regional energy trading arrangements, existing rules and methodologies for calculating mutual commercial settlements for additional services;
- Develop concept for the regional wholesale electricity and power market including recommendations related to creation of potential Regional Market and Technical Operators.